Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 NEC

Two companies asked me to write reviews for products that they sell. In exchange for these reviews, they allow me to keep the product such as clothes, household goods etc.  I file a joint return and my wife, and I are both retired.   I do not receive any money for this, just the goods they send to me.

From the drop-down list in TurboTax, I have selected "This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed individual, it is from a sporadic activity or hobby (this is not common).

Is this selection (This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed individual, it is from a sporadic activity or hobby (this is not common) allowable as I DO NOT receive money as an employee, and it is sporadic?  I have read previous posts, on this subject but still remain unclear.  Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

1099 NEC

Your approach is reasonable. 

PattiF
Expert Alumni

1099 NEC

As DianeW explains, this would be considered a hobby, and the selection of a hobby is appropriate and allowable.

"Yes.  If this is not a business, you are not engaged in the activity for a profit-seeking venture and you consider it a hobby then you can treat it and list it as a hobby.  As a hobby, any expenses involved with it would be used on itemized deductions if you can use that.  These expenses would be subject to a 2% reduction of the adjusted gross income (AGI) and only the excess would be added to your other itemized deductions."

@WESTERNSKY 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099 NEC

Thank you for the replies and information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies