Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 NEC work around?

I "closed" my home business in 2022 so I will not be claiming any deductions  (ie. no need for a Sch C) but I still get residual income in the form of a 1099 NEC.  Is there a way I can just add it to my income (ie. as 1099 MISC or some other way).  I would tell the IRS what I had done using a MISCELLANEOUS STATEMENT.  

If I put it in as a 1099 NEC and leave Sch C empty will TurboTax allow me to proceed?

I have Premier desktop MAC that may not cover a home business but if I avoid the 1099 NEC that may avoid the issue. Thank you

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

1099 NEC work around?

You continue to file to file schedule C. Residual income from a former business is still self employment income*.

The IRS considers anything on a 1099-NEC to be self employment income. TurboTax (TT) aggressively steers you in that direction. If you try reporting the income as anything else, you chances of hearing from the IRS are  higher.

That said, if you want to enter it as other income: 

After entering your 1099-NEC, you will encounter a screen titled "Does one of these uncommon situations apply".  Check the box "This is not money earned as an employee or self employed individual; it is from sporadic activity or hobby".

Checking that box will put the income on line 8 of Schedule 1 as "other income" .

*There is an exception for residual insurance commissions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies