Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC Scholarship 1098-T 1099-Q

Good morning,

Thanks so much for your help in advance!

My daughter got external scholarship of $5000 and the company that awarded the scholarship sent her 1099-NEC. When she got the check she endorsed it to the university and now it is reflected in her 1098-T.  My wife also got 1099-Q(in my wife name) for taking money out of our state 529 plan to pay for her college expense.  Also my daughter had internships last summer and got $7200 for it so she will need to file for her own return to get the tax withholding back. Because the $5000 is already in the 1098-T it hurts our chance of getting the American Opportunity Tax Credit, unless I specify that the $5000 is already reported as 1099-MISC (but it is actually 1099-NEC). I claim her as dependent. My wife and I are filing jointly.

So my question is should the 1099-Q go to my return? By the way I put 1098-T  to my return.

I saw the following instruction in the below post, For Step 1 below, I don't see a way to specify how much of the scholarship was used for  room and board, may be because the scholarship was already in the 1098-T and I don't get to use the 'add the scholarship' step?

After Step 3 below it did not make a difference on the tax, not sure what I did wrong.

The only way I found working is by entering another 1099-NEC with negative 5000 but I am not sure if this is the best way.

below copied from another post

1. add the scholarship at scholarships not shown on the 1098-T.  When asked how much of the scholarship was used for room and board, enter $1500 (this gets it to line 8r of schedule 1 where taxable scholarships go). Scholarship used for tuition is usually not taxable. You're only doing this to force an entry onto the tax forms for the IRS to see. 

2. Then, report the income as other line 8z, Schedule 1 income  (enter in TurboTax at the 1099-NEC screen and identify it as sporadic income).

3. Then enter a line 8z deduction, for the same amount.  In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab
 - Wages & Income
Scroll down to:
-Less Common Income
      -Misc Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
       - On the next screen, choose – Other reportable income -  Answer yes to Any other Taxable Income -On the next screen, Enter the number with a minus sign (-) in front.  Briefly explain at description. Call it something like "1099-NEC amount reported as scholarship". 

this is the similar discussion here but my issue is a bit different, this is where I copied the instructions 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/1099-nec-scholarship/01/2877783/highlight/true#M1... 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

@masonparent  said "When she got the check she endorsed it to the university and now it is reflected in her 1098-T."

I assume that means it was included in the amount in box 5 of the 1098-T

You are correct, you're going to have to use a workaround to account for the 1099-NEC. I would use the positive and negative entries on line 8z of Schedule 1.  For explanation,  Call it something like "1099-NEC amount duplicated in box 5 of 1098-T". That gets rid of the 1099-NEC and the money is properly reported, as scholarship, in box 5 of the 1098-T. 

As for the rest of your post, read the 1099-Q general description below, then provide the following info for more specific help:

• Are you the student or parent.
  • Is the  student  the parent's dependent.
  • Box 1 of the 1098-T
  • box 5 of the 1098-T
  • Any other scholarships not shown in box 5
  • Does box 5 include any of the 529/ESA plan payments (it should not)
  • Is any of the Scholarship restricted; i.e. it must be used for tuition
  • Box 1 of the 1099-Q
  • Box 2 of the 1099-Q
  • Who’s name and SS# are on the 1099-Q, parent or student (who’s the “recipient”)?
  • Room & board paid. If student lives off campus, what is school's R&B charge.
  • Other qualified expenses not included in box 1 of the 1098-T, e.g. books & computers
  • How much taxable income does the student have, from what sources
  • Are you trying to claim the tuition credit (are you eligible)?
  • Is the student an undergrad or grad student?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit even though it was "his" money that paid the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (on the recipient’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $2800

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free; 40% are taxable

40% x 2800= $1120

There is  $1120 of taxable income (on the recipient’s return)

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit. Most people come out better having the scholarship taxable before the 529 earnings. 

View solution in original post

31 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

@masonparent  said "When she got the check she endorsed it to the university and now it is reflected in her 1098-T."

I assume that means it was included in the amount in box 5 of the 1098-T

You are correct, you're going to have to use a workaround to account for the 1099-NEC. I would use the positive and negative entries on line 8z of Schedule 1.  For explanation,  Call it something like "1099-NEC amount duplicated in box 5 of 1098-T". That gets rid of the 1099-NEC and the money is properly reported, as scholarship, in box 5 of the 1098-T. 

As for the rest of your post, read the 1099-Q general description below, then provide the following info for more specific help:

• Are you the student or parent.
  • Is the  student  the parent's dependent.
  • Box 1 of the 1098-T
  • box 5 of the 1098-T
  • Any other scholarships not shown in box 5
  • Does box 5 include any of the 529/ESA plan payments (it should not)
  • Is any of the Scholarship restricted; i.e. it must be used for tuition
  • Box 1 of the 1099-Q
  • Box 2 of the 1099-Q
  • Who’s name and SS# are on the 1099-Q, parent or student (who’s the “recipient”)?
  • Room & board paid. If student lives off campus, what is school's R&B charge.
  • Other qualified expenses not included in box 1 of the 1098-T, e.g. books & computers
  • How much taxable income does the student have, from what sources
  • Are you trying to claim the tuition credit (are you eligible)?
  • Is the student an undergrad or grad student?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit even though it was "his" money that paid the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (on the recipient’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $2800

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free; 40% are taxable

40% x 2800= $1120

There is  $1120 of taxable income (on the recipient’s return)

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit. Most people come out better having the scholarship taxable before the 529 earnings. 

after entering 1098-T and 1099-Q on my daughter return, I found out the following, does the last sentence implies we should also put the education expenses in her return?

Let's Check This Entry
It looks like you're trying to enter the education credits for yourself, but earlier you indicated that you were claimed as a dependent on someone else's return - probably a parent's.
Generally, whoever claims you as a dependent should take the education credits. Yes, even though your school probably sent Form 1098-T to you, in your name, with your Social Security number. However, you should enter your education expenses to avoid paying tax on your Education Savings Account (ESA) or qualified tuition program (QTP).

@Hal_Al thanks so much for your help! I saw your also answered the previous similar post from another person, I will read your answers more in detail and try.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. after entering 1098-T and 1099-Q on my daughter return, I found out the following, does the last sentence implies we should also put the education expenses in her return?

A. No. 

You said, earlier, "My wife also got 1099-Q(in my wife name)".  That makes you (the parents filing a joint return [I assume]) the recipient.  You don't enter the 1099-Q on the student's return.  Any taxable portion of the 529 distribution will not go on the student's return.  It will go on the parent's return, if at all. 

Thanks so much! Here are some answers.

•  
  • Are you the student or parent. Parent
  • Is the  student  the parent's dependent. Yes
  • Box 1 of the 1098-T :$12896
  • box 5 of the 1098-T: $6750
  • Any other scholarships not shown in box 5, No
  • Does box 5 include any of the 529/ESA plan payments (it should not): No
  • Is any of the Scholarship restricted; i.e. it must be used for tuition: No
  • Box 1 of the 1099-Q: $16895.59
  • Box 2 of the 1099-Q: $6285.02
  • Who’s name and SS# are on the 1099-Q, parent or student (who’s the “recipient”)? Parent
  • Room & board paid. If student lives off campus, what is school's R&B charge. $12,225 lives on campus (an off topic question, she will live off campus next year, for future returns, shall we use the actual apt rental rate or school published rate for next year? Your question seems to imply we should use the school published rate in the future when she lives off campus?)
  • Other qualified expenses not included in box 1 of the 1098-T, e.g. books & computers: $100
  • How much taxable income does the student have, from what sources: intern $5000
  • Are you trying to claim the tuition credit (are you eligible)? Yes, I claimed the $2500 AOTC last year and like to claim again this year.
  • Is the student an undergrad or grad student? Under

Thanks, does that mean I should also delete the 1098-T from my daughter's return? and not fill in any thing under deductions & credits -> education for my daughter's return?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Qualified educational expense (QEE) =12896 + 12225 + 100 = 25221

25221 - 4000 for AOTC - 6750 scholarship  = $14471 QEE available for 1099-Q

16896 - 14471 = $2425 non qualified 529 distribution

2425 / 16896 = 14.35% of 1099-Q earnings are taxable

0.1435 x 6285 = $902 of taxable income on the parents return

Alternate (and better) plan: Student reports $2425 of scholarship as taxable on her return, freeing up $2425 of QEE for the 1099-Q, for the parents. 

$2425 + 5000 (intern income) = $7425 total student income.  This is less than the $12,950 filing threshold, so she will still owe no tax. 

Do not enter the 1099-Q, on anybody's return. The calculations are too messy and mistakes will be made. Enter the 1098-T, on the parent's return and claim the AOTC.  Enter a modified 1098-T on the student's return with 0 in box 1 and $2425 in box 5.  This modified 1098-T is not sent to the IRS.  $2425 of income will go on line 8r of Schedule 1 (this reporting place is new for 2022).

Keep a copy of your calculations. 

Q.  She will live off campus next year, for future returns, shall we use the actual apt rental rate or school published rate for next year? 

A. You use the lesser of your actual cost or the school's "allowance for attendance" (essentially the published rate). 

Thanks so much @Hal_Al 

Enter the 1098-T, on the parent's return and claim the AOTC. 

- does this mean I enter box 5 as it is from school(meaning 2425 will be duplicated) or a reduced amount 6750-2425 = 4325? Meaning I am splitting the 1098-T between my daughter and my return? 

for my daughter return 1098-T there is a small amount 289.1 in box 5 adjustment made for a previous year. Do I also enter that in her 1098-T?

Sorry I forgot to mention this $289.1, will this change the calculation? 

Also there is a question on her return

Was any of your financial aid already included as income? I think I should answer yes.

Hal_Al
Level 15

It doesn't matter, because you're only entering it to use $4000 of the box 1 amount, for the credit.  TurboTax does nothing else with the numbers.   But, yes to be technically correct, you could enter $4325 in box 5. 

Longer (standard) explanation:

The 1098-T is only an informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return. However receipt of a 1098-T frequently means you are either eligible for a tuition credit or possibly your student has taxable scholarship income. 

If you claim the tuition credit, you do need to report that you got one or that you qualify for an exception (the TurboTax interview will handle this)

You claim the tuition credit, or report scholarship income, based on your own financial records, not the 1098-T. In the 1098-T screen, click on the link "What if this is not what I paid the school" underneath box 1. You will then be able to enter the actual amounts paid. You will also reach a screen that allows you to adjust the scholarship amount for "amounts not awarded for 2022 expenses".

Or if you find it easier, just change the numbers in boxes 1& 5 to what your records show. The 1098-T that you enter in TT is not sent to the IRS.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. On the  1098-T there is a small amount 289.1 in box 4 adjustment made for a previous year. Do I also enter that in her 1098-T? Will this change the calculation? 

A. No and no. That does not affect this year. 

Technically, you should review what you claimed on last year's tax return.  But the amount is small enough that it is unlikely to change anything. 

also on the education section for my daughter I answered no to below question,

did you pay for books or materials to attend school, I will use this on my return instead just $100.

I entered 2,425 in box 5.

There is a financial aid section that it is asking

Did you receive a scholarship or grant in 2022, 

if I answer yes, it further asked 

enter the amount you received, Don't include amounts already listed on a W-2 or other tax form

I answered No to this.

Then it asked if this is my daughter's first year, he started college in 2021, so as of 1/1/2002 it is her first school year but 2nd calendar year. I answered No.  Then answer yes received American Opportunity Credit(although she did not file a separate return last year, we as parent with her as dependent filed and got this credit last year).

At the end it said 

you can't claim an education tax break

However at this point the tax bottom line looks correct, I found out earlier the mistake was the $5000 appeared in two sections

income from Form 1099-NEC

business income and expenses (schedule C)

so I deleted the one under 

business income and expenses (schedule C)

now the tax number for my daughter's tax looks good(no tax on the $5000).  As I entered -5000 in Les Common Income -> other reportable income.

Did I do these steps correct for my daughter's return? 

It asked was any of your financial aid already included as income,

I tested to enter Yes

Yes, I had scholarship or other aid reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099-MISC

I answered yes and entered the 2425 

Then I tested enter No, since I did not receive the 1099-MISC only received 1099-NEC, the answer yes or no did not make a difference. Tax looks correct both ways, so I kept the No answer.

Hal_Al
Level 15

No is the correct answer.  But it only makes no difference because of the amounts involved (she is under $12,950 either way). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies