Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TARibs
Returning Member

1099-NEC scam

So from everything I'm reading (and there are plenty of questions) the 1099-NEC  is little more  than a Scam by businesses to avoid paying social security and putting the burden on employees.  Instead of their paying the taxes as they should they have put the onus on the worker now to make them pay those taxes as supposedly being self employed.  If this isn't the case please let me know why?  You are now required to file Form SS-8 Determination of Worker Status for Purposes of Federal Employment Taxes and Income Tax Withholding, making it so confusing most people just accept they are now considered self employed for tax purposes. 

There is little or no information how long it takes to get this determination or what to do if you wish to file it?
Will penalties be involved?
Do you file independent of your taxes, with your taxes? 

If with then how do you complete your taxes?

My son works for a Catering company, has no input as to his tasks on the job that does not make him self employed yet that is how it works under this new system.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1099-NEC scam

This is a real issue and prompted California to try to make Uber and Lyft drivers employees rather than independent contractors. Complain to your legislative representatives. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies