Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC for Teacher Retention Bonus

I am getting mixed answers on what to do with my 1099-NEC.

I received an Iowa DHS Retention Bonus https://dhsbonusprogram.powerappsportals.com/ reported on a 1099-NEC. I am a preschool teacher. It was not paid by my employer. I did not render any services to the payer. This child care retention bonus is part of the Iowa Worker Pay Program. I have been told I can report this on line 8 “other income” on Schedule 1. I have also been told this will lead to an automatic inquiry by the IRS, since anything reported on line 1 of a 1099-NEC without a Schedule C will be flagged. I don’t see how this is considered self-employment income, but I also just don’t want to deal with an inquiry. 

According to this IRS document ( https://tax.iowa.gov/sites/default/files/2023-01/2022%20Expanded%20Instructions_011223.pdf ) an NEC is used for “services in the course of trade or business” and should not be used for “other income not subject to self-employment tax”. (See below for the passages to which I am referring) This would make it seem that this income should not have been reported on Box 1 of a 1099-NEC, but instead Box 3 of a 1099-MISC. The payer has been no help to me with any of my concerns and it would seem there is no chance of them reporting it differently. 

Passages from document:

What is NEC? If the following four conditions are met, you must generally report a payment as NEC.

• You made the payment to someone who is not your employee.

• You made the payment for services in the course of your trade or business (including government agencies and nonprofit organizations).

• You made the payment to an individual, partnership, estate, or, in some cases, a corporation.

Payments not reported in box

1. Do not report in box 1:

• Expense reimbursements paid to volunteers of nonprofit organizations;

• Deceased employee wages paid in the year after death (report in box 3 of Form 1099-MISC) (see Deceased employee's wages, earlier);

• Payments more appropriately described as rent (report in box 1 of Form 1099-MISC), royalties (report in box 2 of Form 1099-MISC), other income not subject to self-employment tax (report in box 3 of Form 1099-MISC), and interest (use Form 1099-INT)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC for Teacher Retention Bonus

I agree that the income was reported improperly. However, this is a common mistake so it will not necessarily create an issue with the IRS, especially if the amount is small and you don't have similar reporting from other activities. If the issuer of the form will not correct it, you can either report it as other income or self-employment income. If you report it as other income and the IRS is concerned about it, they will give you an opportunity to explain why you categorized it as such.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies