Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC Box 6

I am self-employed and invoice through my LLC in Arizona where I live. I worked virtually for an organization in Oregon, never going to Oregon. I made less than $2,000 on this particular job. When I received my 1099-NEC from them they marked Oregon in Box 6. I keep reading online that Boxes 5 - 7 need to be blank to avoid filing a return for work in another state. Does the organization need to fix this or can I file my Arizona return and just ignore it (my favorite answer). Or? Thanks in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC Box 6

You can enter the income without entering the Oregon boxes.  You may also wish to ask the organization if they can amend the filing, but you don't need to wait for them to do so in order to report the income properly in your home state. 

Make some notes to attach to that 1099-NEC and keep it in your files in case you are asked about it later.  Also keep with that any correspondence with the organization that paid you.  That way, if Oregon inquires as to why you didn't report the income you'll be ready to reply quickly.  It can sometimes be a few years out before agencies inquire and by then we often forget the details so making a record of them can be quite helpful.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099-NEC Box 6

Thank you so much. I am now seeing they did indeed also list the income in Box 7. Does that change your answer or can I legally change what I enter in TurboTax and file my taxes, in addition to emailing them about their error and need to refile a new form with the IRS?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC Box 6

You can legally change the entries to represent the proper reporting of the income.  This does sometimes trigger a check by the IRS or a state department of revenue but as long as you have your documentation in order that should require just a quick reply on your part to resolve the matter. 

I would just keep your documents and notes in an easily accessible location for at least 3 years so that you'll have it ready if needed it.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies