Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 misc - Self employment (line 12) vs other income (line 21)

I did some consulting work on the side that was related to my primary job.  (I am a marketing professor and it was a marketing related consulting).  I received 1099 MISC from these businesses, but am not set up formally as a business.  When I enter this information it is considering it as self employment income (reported on line 12 with schedule C).  I was thinking that it would be other income on line 21.    Can you confirm what the criteria is for the line 12 income vs. line 21?  Can I enter 1099 MISC income as "other income"
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

1099 misc - Self employment (line 12) vs other income (line 21)

Form 1040 Line 21 is for miscellaneous taxable income, such as jury duty pay, hobby income, or income from the rental of personal property.  There are some other instances where line 21 may be used, but income from performing work or services would generally not be reported on line 21.

The type of income you described should be reported as self-employment income on Schedule C, ultimately being included on line 12 of Form 1040.  This would be correct even if you do not have any expenses to offset the income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies