Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-MISC From My Credit Card Company for Referring a Friend

I received a 1099-MISC from my bank for referring a friend to get a credit card. For referral I received 30000 points, and the 1099-MISC that I received has box 3 other income marked for $300. 

When entering this info in Turbo Tax I select None of these apply under Does One of These Uncommon Situations Apply? However, I am not certain what to select for Did the Referral Bonus Points Involve an Intent to Earn Money? as my intent was to get the bonus points for referral. 

I would sincerely appreciate if you would just walk me through how to enter this 1099-MISC.

1. Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC. I entered Referral Bonus Points

2. Does one of these uncommon situations apply? I selected None of these apply

3. Did the Referral Bonus Points involve work that's like my main job? The answer is definitely no.

4. How often did I get income for Referral Bonus Points? I only did this in 2023.

5. Did the Referral Bonus Points Involve an Intent to Earn Money? Not certain what to enter.

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1099-MISC From My Credit Card Company for Referring a Friend

yes it's income and the iRS will be looking for that $300 when you file. mark it on the 1099-MISC as other income. it will flow to schedule1

reason - referral award

work - no

got it in 2023

intent to earn money - no (intent to earn money suggests a job which this is not)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies