turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Be32

1099 Misc form

Help please! 
I am a resident alien living in an American territory and required to do my taxes. 
Under my contract of employment was housing benefits. Since my employer did not provide a place for me I was given $600 standard amount every month for rent though my rent is more than $600, This is per contract. I was given a 1099MiSc form to file with my W2form this year which is new as I didn't do that last tax season. I am from the pacific island and require accommodation to work here.i was informed by finance that the 1099Misc form is for the rent they give us as in our contract. Am I suppose to fill this form? Or just the w2 form? Through whatever reading I could find ,1099 if for rent or housing has to fill the criteria 

The value of lodging for overseas employees isn't taxable for the employee if it meets all three of these requirements:

• Housing must be at your business location
  • Housing must be for the convenience of your company
  • The employee must accept the housing as a condition of employment

So my housing is not on business property but in the same  country and convenient for company and was a benefit given to me under contract to work here for them 

Help please I'm so confused 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

1099 Misc form

It depends. The first requirement states that the housing must be at your business location. This specifically means that the property needs to be owned by the business or employer but doesn't specifically need to be at the same location as the business. There has to be a business connection between the house and the business.

If the business does not own the house, then the value of lodging must be included as taxable income because it doesn't meet all three criteria you listed above and you need to report the 1099 MISC. To report;

1. Go to federal
  2. Wages and Income
  3. Other Common income
  4. Form 1099-MISC

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies