Skip to main content
Level 5
January 26, 2023
Question

1099-G Maryland

  • January 26, 2023
  • 3 replies
  • 19 views

I received a refund last year. I took standard deduction. Will I get a 1099-G?

    3 replies

    Alumni - Intuit
    January 26, 2023

    You don't report any of the refund as income if you didn’t itemize your deductions on your federal tax return for the tax year that generated the refund.

    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post. **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
    KRECAuthor
    Level 5
    January 26, 2023

    Thanks. I assume TT will ask the question but will recognize that last year I took the standard deduction?

    KrisD15
    Level 15
    January 26, 2023

    TurboTax does carry information forward, but if not, here is something to keep in mind. 

     

    If you take the Standard Deduction for 2022 and you get a 1099-G next year, don't enter the 1099-G for the refund. 

    If you do want to enter the 1099-G, be sure to enter it as a State Refund, NOT in the other 1099-G entry screen. 

     

    Next the program might ask you for confusing information, 

    THEN it will ask if you took the Standard Deduction or Itemized. 

    On this screen if you select "I took the standard deduction in ...." and Continue

    the NEXT screen says "Good News! Your Refund Is Not Taxable"

     

    Sometimes the program makes you do a lot of work for nothing, but how you enter the refund next year (or don't) is up to you. 

     

    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post. **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"