turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

1099 for Nanny

Hello - do I need to provide a form 1099 or a W2 to a nanny who will be taking care of my child at her home while I work. Wages exceed $3k annually and she is older than 18. She is also my sister in law.

1 Reply
Level 15

1099 for Nanny

A babysitter or nanny is normally considered self-employed if they provide the services in their own home.  In that situation you don’t have reporting or withholding requirements.   The babysitters still must report their income to the IRS.  However, you don’t need to issue a 1099 or W2 or withhold taxes. 


Remember however that if you wish to claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit on your return, you must provide the sitter's name, address, and SSN.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies