Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-DIV split for joint account

Hello, my spouse has a joint investment account with her sister who lives in another state. My wife is the primary account number had has a majority share (55%). We are filing married jointly using TurboTax.

The brokerage produced three 1099's (DIV, INT and B) which I imported into the software (for the full amounts). For DIV and INT there's an option to make adjustments to the income amounts due to being a nominee.

However, this is not an option for the 1099-B. How should we report her share of the gains and losses? There are over 50 transactions here. Should I manually correct each proceeds amount to show her 55% portion? What about cost basis? Is there another way to do this that doesn't require me to have to hand edit dozens of transactions? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

technically because it's her 1099 she's supposed to issue her sister 1099s for her share of the items.  the nominee adjustment in Turbotax does not always work as you think.

take a 1099-div of $100,000 as gross dividends $10,000 as qualified dividends and $20,000 as capital gain dividends and enter a nominee adjustment of $45,000 

that $45,000 is allocated between qualified dividends and capital gain dividends so you end up with taxable dividends of  $100000 - 45,000/ (100,000 + 20,000)  X 100, 000 = $62,5000 (not $55,000) and Capital gain dividends on schedule D of $20,000 - 45000/ (100,000+20,000 x 20,000 = $12,500 (not $11,000). qualified dividends and other items are similarly affected so it is almost impossible to enter a nominee amount that properly adjusts each item except by using multiple 1099's.  see below for proper reporting of any capital gain dividends. an199A dividends probably have a similar reporting requirement. 

For tax purposes, if you receive, in your name, income that actually belongs to someone else, you are also a nominee. Being a nominee means you must file with the IRS a 1099 form appropriate to the type of income you received and give a copy of the 1099 to the actual owner of the income.

The most common nominee situation is where a taxpayer and one or more other individuals have a joint financial account. your wife is the payer and her sister is the recipient. On her sister's return, she reports her share with your wife's name as the payer. 

If capital gain distributions from a mutual fund or broker are nominee income, you report only your ownership share on your return and attach an explanation statement to your return; the capital gain distributions would not be included on a 1099-DIV that you issue as the payer. remember the IRS will be looking for that 1099 cap gain distribution amount - no way to attach such a statement so now you have to file by mail.  if, as a nominee, you receive gross proceeds from selling stocks or bonds, you will need to issue a Form 1099-B to the IRS and the actual owner of the income. As with the interest and dividend income received by a nominee, rules are in place for completing your return so that only your portion of the net gain or loss from the sales is included in your income. Turbotax will not accept negative numbers to reduce 100% to 55% 

Forms 1099-INT and 1099-DIV that you issue as a nominee must be given to the recipients by January 31, while the deadline for giving Forms 1099-B to the other owner(s) is February 15. In order to avoid a penalty, copies of the 1099s need to be sent to the IRS by February 28. The 1099s must be submitted on magnetic media or on optically scannable forms (OCR forms). Probably a lot of taxpayers don't bother with this type of filings but the IRS can penalize such failures. 

one way to adjust the 1099-B is to use adjustment code N for each trade and then enter a negative amount of 45% of the gain or a positive amount for 45% of the loss. others may suggest other ways to do report.

Hi, thank you so much for taking the time to reply. This has been such a confusing experience and ordeal!

So it seems like the nominee adjustment in Turbotax does not work at all like I was hoping. I am just learning now about issuing at 1099-DIV to her sister but I also see that we may be past that deadline. If we are able to issue those 1099-DIV's, is it ok to just reduce the amounts directly to reflect my wife's 55% share? In your example: $55,000, $5500 and $11000, then not use any nominee adjustment? Then have her sister do the same thing (only claim $45,000, $4500, and $9000)? Same question for the 1099-INT and 1099-B.

For the 1099-B what do you mean enter a negative or positive amount against the lost? For example, in one transaction if the proceeds were $500, costs basis of $400 and gains of $100, are you saying just adjust the gain to be $55? Wouldn't that look weird since the gain plus cost basis does not equal the stated proceeds?

Last but not least - would it be acceptable if one party reports all the 1099's related to this count if the other partner doesn't report it at all? In other words, the primary (my wife) reports 100% of the interest, dividends and gains/losses - taking the tax benefits or losses, in the interest of keeping things simple?

Hi, is anyone able to assist with this?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies