Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

d27
Level 1

1099 B sales

My 1099B lists all of my sales of company stock. I got some through an ESPP, and they are labeled QSP on the supplemental information form. The rest of the sales are not labeled, and I don't know which option to choose--TurboTax requires me to choose one of these: ESPP, NQSO, ISO, RSU, RS, and some others. I understand that the rest of the stock was given to me as employee bonus. Whenever the stock is issued, it shows up on my paystub and taxes are withheld. Which label is correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

1099 B sales

For the ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) stock, select ESPP from the list of types of stock from the program. I assume they are labeled QSP (Qualifying Stock Purchase) because the program adhered to the qualifying rules and the holding periods were met. 

For the year you sold (2023) the amount of the discount for that stock should be included on your W-2 Box 1.

Your basis or cost for that stock is what you paid, (the strike price) plus the discount. You may need to adjust the basis from what is reported on the 1099-B for that stock. Refer to your Form 3922 for the numbers. 

The stock received as a bonus would be RSU (Restricted Stock Units) if it had a vesting period. The basis of that stock is the same as what the employer reported as part of your income (W-2 Box1) for that stock. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies