Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

beltonr

1099-B Manual Input

I am trying to input J.P. Morgan 1099-B totals.  Filing for my Father-in-Law who passed away last year.  Can't import; J.P. Morgan account is closed, don't know password anyway.

Selected "more than 4 sales."  Next page asks for "one sales total." In "sales section title" I select "short term basis reported to IRS." Next section down only has blanks for "total proceeds (sum of all box 1d)" and "total cost or other basis (sum of all box 1e)."  Boxes D and E are for Long-term gains or losses. There is no here to input short-term gains or losses.  I am stuck.  Tried inputting directly to form 8949, form won't let me manually input.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

1099-B Manual Input

Box 1d and box 1e on Form 1099-B are not the same as boxes D and E on Form 8949. If you selected short-term in the title your entries from 1099-B boxes 1d and 1e will be reported as short-term. Enter the total proceeds and the total basis in the boxes on the TurboTax screen.

Do not attempt to enter investment sales in forms mode. The forms mode entries are very complicated and error-prone. TurboTax strongly recommends that you use the Step-by-Step interview to enter investment sales.

beltonr

1099-B Manual Input

Thanks!  That did it!  I'm on my way . . .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies