Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

frogger24

1099-B Inherited ESPP

My husband inherited an ESPP accunt from his sister that we received a 1099-B form.  I am using Turbo Tax Home and Business and it states we need to know the cost basis.  In trying to figure that out for us it asks which employer is this for and about a W-2, but this is not from either of our employers and we do not have her W-2.  It also asks about a form 3922 from when we purchased  the stock, and since we do not have that form it goes on to ask # of shares bought?  Would that be the total # of shares that he inherited? Is the first day of the offering  period and the date purchased  the day that his sister died?  Are the grant date and purchase date also the date his sister died?  Where can I find out the purchase price per share?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

1099-B Inherited ESPP

Do not select that this is ESPP, because for you, it isn't. 

Now, I am assuming the 1099-B was issued because you sold the stock.

If this was issued to your sister-in-law, she would need to enter the Strike price and her discount. 

YOU do not. Inherited property gets a stepped-up basis meaning the basis for you is the Fair Market Value on the date your sister-in-law passed.

If you sold it just after inheriting, you would have no gain, the basis would be the same as the value that you sold it for. You might even have a loss if there were selling fees.

If you held the stock and sold later, your basis is the value on the date of her passing. 

Do not answer the questions about Employee Stock Purchase Plan stock for stock that was inherited. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

1099-B Inherited ESPP

Do not select that this is ESPP, because for you, it isn't. 

Now, I am assuming the 1099-B was issued because you sold the stock.

If this was issued to your sister-in-law, she would need to enter the Strike price and her discount. 

YOU do not. Inherited property gets a stepped-up basis meaning the basis for you is the Fair Market Value on the date your sister-in-law passed.

If you sold it just after inheriting, you would have no gain, the basis would be the same as the value that you sold it for. You might even have a loss if there were selling fees.

If you held the stock and sold later, your basis is the value on the date of her passing. 

Do not answer the questions about Employee Stock Purchase Plan stock for stock that was inherited. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
frogger24

1099-B Inherited ESPP

Thanks! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies