Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-B data imported from Brokerage is assigned to wrong category/BOX(es)

Help needed please.  Importing my 1099-B's for my two accounts at my  E-Trade brokerage results in the  BOX A short term gains/losses  being incorrectly imported as BOX B  and the BOX D long term gains/losses are being imported incorrectly into  BOX E.  These errors are seen in the Schedule D and in the associated form 8949 entries.

Attached are the following relevant screenshots :

1. TurboTax Schedule D
  2. Brokerage 1099B statements for account numbers ending in xxx0259 and xxx0649
  3. Sample of one of the many Form 8949's that identify each investment sale.

Schedule D Screen Shot 2021-02-24.jpg1099B ScreenShot account xxx0259 2021-02-24.jpg1099B ScreenShot account xxx0649 2021-02-24 .jpgScreen Shot Sample of an 8949 entry by Turbotax 2021-02-24.jpg

Note: This import problem above has no relevance to a separate  1099-B article under investigation  '1099-B negative values preventing e-file submissions' as has been suggested in a different thread.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If import does not work

the solution is to

• delete the imported data
  • use the "I'll enter a summary option" and
  • put the 1099-B amounts in the proper sales categories.

Hi Fanfare,

I am aware of the 'summary' option for the sales.  It's not really a solution it is a workaround. That could be my contingency plan if the import issues aren't eventually fixed. However, because I have many lines of disallowed wash sale amounts, I will  be required to mail in a statement  with specific information about each individual sale per IRS requirements perhaps along with other documentation. I would prefer to avoid that.

Do you know if Intuit Turbotax can work to fix this import  problem in the meantime based on the data I have supplied in this post ?

Thank you

I'm just a regular taxpayer like you, and I have no idea what TurboTax plans to do about all the 1099-B issues causing so many problems.

FYI - the very latest Tax update available today FPS version 4.3.5  doesn't solve the problem. (I updated Tax,  deleted the data, re-imported and checked again) 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  Please click on the following link and sign up for an email notification when it's fixed.  

1099-B negative

A Form 1099-B is issued to report the proceeds from your stocks and bonds transactions.  The transactions will generate either a long term or short term capital gain or loss depends on how long the stocks are being held.  The amount will be reported on line 7 of your Form 1040 along with a Schedule D and Form 8949.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

LinaJ

PLEASE STOP Posting a reference to '1099-B Negative'. You did the same thing on my previous post when Turbotax was only partially uploading the 1099-B entries. This reference has NOTHING to do with either of the two issues I posted on this community board and it is very misleading.

Do you work for TurboTax? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies