Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MatthewR87
Returning Member

1099-B and RSU sale reporting help

Hello, 

I sold some vested RSUs last year. This included both long term and short term shares with different cost basis for each shares. Despite this, on my 1099-B the brokerage reported this as a single line with the total proceeds. It is listed as an "X" transaction and does not show date acquired. It also states it is a noncovered security. 

I have cost basis and acquisition date details for every transaction so I can enter all that information into TurboTax. My issue is that when I go to fill in the information on my 1099-B and hit "cost basis missing or incorrect" it only gives me the opportunity to enter one single cost basis for the transaction, which is inaccurate. 

How do I resolve this? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You would have to enter each category of sale separately, so that the total of them would equal the total sale amount listed on your Form 1099-B. At a minimum, you would have one entry for your short term sales and one for your long term sales, the total of which would equal the sale amount listed on your 1099-B form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. I had to keep a spreadsheet of all my RSUs because each had a different acquisition date and basis. So when I filed my taxes i adjusted the both the proceeds and cost amounts to match my spreadsheet. I think the important thing is that the total proceeds still needs to match your 1099 document so the IRS does not create a mismatch on their system. So you can add an additional sale to the 1099 to make the total proceeds match and adjust the costs accordingly with your spreadsheet. Just keep good records. I never got audited on this, but I felt ready if it happened.

To change both the cost and proceeds, you use the edit function (pencil icon) when reviewing the individual sales for each 1099. Down at the bottom of the 1099 review page, their is an option to add additional sales.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies