Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-B and K-1 Form SVXY

I am concerned over double counting on my sale of SVXY (a limited partnership) and saw discussions (older than 2023), so just want get the latest advice incase tax laws have changed . My ETF is SVXY, proshare sent me K-1 for this ETF. My broker 1099-B reported all the total proceeds  6012 and total cost basis 5416

I bought and sold within 2023, so short term gain.

My K-1 section L :

Capital contribution:  5417

Current year income  : 282

Withdrawls and distributions   - 5699 (this is cost basis I think)

Box 11:  C   272

Box 13:  C   272

Box 20   A :  12                B: 2

Q1: how to enter information 

On Turbo tax desktop

k-1 sale.png

Do I enter sale price using 1099B number $6012

Q2: I have efiled my federal return before I receive this K-1, 1099b SHOWS  all transaction on this investments costs basis have been furnished to IRS, how do I avoid reporting double reporting on the gain of SVXY?

I saw posts by  nexchap and other experts, thank you guys, please help!

Q3:I was told K-3 FORM will arrive in June. Should I file my state tax before 4/15 as if I do not have K-1 then amend returns when I receive K-3 form

Thanks so much

Ben

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099-B and K-1 Form SVXY

Q1:  The K-1 form with all 0s is fine. 

Q2:  You'll have to change the cost basis on your 1099-B to $5699.  If the broker reported the incorrect cost basis, the interview will give you a choice of codes and you'd just pick the one that says the broker was wrong.  If you've already efiled, though, wait until your return is accepted before amending.

Q3:  The K3 probably won't affect your return, so waiting is unnecessary.  If it does, you can always amend again.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

1099-B and K-1 Form SVXY

Q1:  The K-1 form with all 0s is fine. 

Q2:  You'll have to change the cost basis on your 1099-B to $5699.  If the broker reported the incorrect cost basis, the interview will give you a choice of codes and you'd just pick the one that says the broker was wrong.  If you've already efiled, though, wait until your return is accepted before amending.

Q3:  The K3 probably won't affect your return, so waiting is unnecessary.  If it does, you can always amend again.

**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.

1099-B and K-1 Form SVXY

You have helped many like me. I want to thank you.

Your last reply- Q1:  The K-1 form with all 0s is fine.   Do you mean zero for all things on this screen below

including gains

k-1 sale.png

Where do I go on Turbo to change cost basis for 1099-B, I have multiple stock transactions plus this SVXY limited partnership.

3. When you say the broker reported the incorrect cost basis ( my 1099 b shows 5416.35 as cost basis), how do I get  “the interview will give you a choice of codes “ to change it?

Ben

1099-B and K-1 Form SVXY

1) As you display it is fine.

2 & 3) In the interview, wages and income section, investment income, there's a section that deals with 1099-B.  Alternatively, you can go into Forms, find the 1099-B 'Cap Asset Sales' worksheet, and you can edit directly on the form.  Its just not nearly as user-friendly as the interview.

1099-B and K-1 Form SVXY

Thanks nextchap so much!

I went to   Turbo forms , 1099-B

Is it Cap Asset Sale worksheet? , I have 

Form 8949  box A proceeds  14,389    ; cost basis 13069     adj gain 2320

I also see 

Form 8949  box D proceeds    11164; cost basis 12101, adj gain - 937

which one of the two boxes, should I adjust?

note: the numbers above already included this partnerhsip cost basis, do I just make changes, e.g., it should be $400 higher than what my broker reported, do I increase the nubmer in Box D to 12101+400

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

1099-B and K-1 Form SVXY

The basis number should match the basis that you have evidence for.  If you know that your total basis is off by $400 then you increase it or decrease it by that amount.  Just make certain that you have evidence to back up the change and hold on to it.

@ben301 

**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies