Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098 Mortgage Interest Statements for Loan that was transferred from original Loan Provider

The home was purchased in May of 2023.  I have two 1098 forms.  One from the original Loan Provider and a second from the company that has picked-up the servicing of my loan.  Box 2 - Outstanding Mortgage Principal is blank on the form that was provided by the Original Loan Provider.  When I run the review tool on Turbo Tax it gives me an error and tells me there needs to be a value for this box.  What should be entered here?  The original amount of the mortgage or 0, since it was transferred to another company and the mortgage amount is reflected on their 1098 form?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

1098 Mortgage Interest Statements for Loan that was transferred from original Loan Provider

When you entered your first Form 1098, did you answer "No" to the question "Is the 1098 you are working on now the most recent for your loan? And then "Yes" to "Is this the original loan you used to buy your property?"  

When you add your second Form 1098 answer "Yes" to "Is the 1098 you are working on now the most recent for your loan?" and "Yes" to "Is this the original loan you used to buy your property?"  

Your second 1098 is with a new lender, but it is still the original loan for this calculation.

You should enter your Form 1098 exactly as shown unless you believe it to be incorrect.  If you believe your Form 1098 is incorrect, you should contact the issuer of the form.

Click here for additional information on entering multiple forms 1098 into TurboTax.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies