Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1095A Causing Unexpected Large Amount Owed

My wife purchased Marketplace Insurance for only her from April to Dec. 2020 and the premiums and discounts were based on her minimal unemployment income which was all she had for 2020. However now, when figuring our taxes married filing jointly, and adding the 1095A information for her as asked for, it takes into account our combined income and makes it so she has to repay the discounts she received to the tune of nearly $7,000 because of the amount of our combined income. (I had three months of work income before I was laid off and then also had only self employment income the rest of the year.) I had separate insurance via Cobra after being laid off. If I figure her taxes as married filing single, she owes only @$2,000 right now. Is it OK to file separately then in this case? Again, the insurance was only for HER and she based it off of only HER income when she applied. As a side note, even though we live together as a married couple, we have considered ourselves "separated" for a number of years, with completely separate bank accounts, spending, and living arrangements within the household, and are now in pre-divorce stage. Thanks for any help. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1095A Causing Unexpected Large Amount Owed

It is fine to file as MFS if it gives you the lowest amount of taxes owed.  Be sure to take into account who claim deductions like mortgage so you get the best results for both of you.  TurboTax desktop lets you file separte returns without have to pay for two accounts, like you will if you use TurboTax online.

IRS Filing Status

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies