Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jesse0831
Returning Member

1095-A allocation

So from response I received regarding Turbo Tax and 1095-A allocation it sounds like I cannot use it because the program does not allow me to enter more than one  member who shared a market place policy and to allocate properly. Is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

1095-A allocation

You can enter a Form 1095-A in TurboTax that is for more than one family member. I think that is what you are asking.  There are several scenarios that may be involved, though, so if this does not cover your situation please reach back out to us to provide more information regarding your particular situation. 

You are not required to list each individual with whom you share the policy.

As long as you include one other person and all the percentages equal to 100% you don't need to list everyone.

The IRS requires that your percentages are agreed upon by all and that the percentages add up to 100%.

You may claim all  (100%) on your tax return as long as it is agreed upon.

A parent tax return should reference one child and the tax returns for the children should both reference the parent on their 1095-A entries.

Depending on your circumstances, use the following article (click here) to enter your 1095A information:

TurboTax will ask you to enter a 1095-A. You'll enter the info from your form (or parents form). 

The next screen will ask you about your health plan being shared, so check the box.

Then you'll see a screen asking for shared policy info. You enter the following:

• Enter the Social Security number in box 5 (recipient's SSN) on your 1095-A.
  • Enter the starting month and ending month that you had the insurance.

Now you'll be asked to enter percentages for Your Premium, Second lowest cost Silver plan (SLCSP), and advanced payment.

You should see amounts on your 1095-A, columns A, B, and C. You and your other family members should agree on what percentage of those amounts you’ll claim on your return, and what percentage they’ll claim on theirs. 

You can use anything from 0% to 100%, as long it all adds up to 100%.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies