Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Alam12345
Returning Member

1042-S from NJ Fellowship - not taxable in state but turbotax registers it as taxable income

Hi,

I am an F1 PhD student who has been in the US for 5 years. This year, I am a tax resident and filing through turbotax. In 2022, I received a 1042-S for an academic fellowship in New Jersey. This income in not taxable in NJ (Exception code 15 on my 1042-S), but it is taxable federally. According to the instructions in here, I added this income under "Other reportable income" and the federal tax paid under "Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099."

When my information is automatically transferred to the state return, turbotax is telling me I owe state tax in NJ for this income. The software does not let me delete this income, so I have no way to certify that this income is not taxable in NJ.

How can I file correctly? This concerns my refund as the extra taxable income is increasing my taxes. One possible way may be to add additional state income not reported in the federal return, and claim this income as negative the amount not taxable in NJ. Is this allowed or correct?

Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

1042-S from NJ Fellowship - not taxable in state but turbotax registers it as taxable income

Exception code 15 means you are not subject to the Chapter 4 withholding of 30%. 

I see nothing to suggest the income, if not used for education expenses, would be non-taxable for the State of New Jersey.

Here is a link about Code 15. 

Here is a conversation about New Jersey Scholarships and Fellowships. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Alam12345
Returning Member

Thank you for your response. In the link you posted, there are a few conditions for the fellowship not being taxable in NJ. Since it is a fellowship stipend, I think my fellowship meets these conditions. This is also confirmed by my school's documents here and here.

If that's the case, how can I correctly report it on turbotax?

Thank you.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

You can report the 1042-S as other reportable income.

Open your return in TurboTax 

Click on Wages & Income 

Scroll down to All Income 

Scroll down to Less Common Income 

Scroll down to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C 

Click start 

Scroll down to Other reportable income 

Answer yes 

Enter description and amount For the income description, record it as 1042 S fellowship income and then the amount.

To get credit for the taxes withheld; 

• Go to Federal>deductions and credits>estimates and other taxes paid
  • Go Other income Taxes>scroll to the bottom of the page
  • Go to other income taxes paid>withholding not already on a W2 or 1099

@Alam12345

Alam12345
Returning Member

Hi,

Thank you for your response. As I mentioned in my question, I have no problem reporting the 1042 S income on the federal return, and I have already done these instructions and reported my income and federal withholding. The issue is that when this information is transferred to the state taxes section (NJ), I cannot remove this income. Since this income (fellowship for education purposes) is not taxable in NJ, turbotax is calculating my owed taxes to be higher than what they actually are.

Therefore, I need to know how to report that this income is not taxable in NJ, in the state section of turbotax.

Thank you.

Would you clarify how you entered you fellowship? 

@ShirlynW

Alam12345
Returning Member

Sure, I followed these instructions:

Open your return in TurboTax 

Click on Wages & Income 

Scroll down to All Income 

Scroll down to Less Common Income 

Scroll down to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C 

Click start 

Scroll down to Other reportable income 

Answer yes 

Enter description and amount For the income description, record it as 1042 S fellowship income and then the amount.

To get credit for the taxes withheld; 

• Go to Federal>deductions and credits>estimates and other taxes paid
  • Go Other income Taxes>scroll to the bottom of the page
  • Go to other income taxes paid>withholding not already on a W2 or 1099

Then they were automatically transferred to my state return.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

I think the best option will be on the Other Non-Wage Income. It allows you to enter the description and the negative income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies