Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1031 exchange

Thank you for your reply!

I would like to confirm that I am not required to report the 1031 exchange funds. I wasn’t confident your reply was answering the 1031 exchange question or was answering the step up of cost basis/acquired date (I understand this). I have re-worded my question below. 

My spouse and I purchased a rental property with like kind 1031 exchange funds 15 years ago. The spouse passed away and I inherited the rental. In 2017 the cost basis and acquired date were stepped up  based upon the inheritance date. The property was then sold in 2019. Is reporting still required of the 1031 exchange funds?

1031 exchange

Yes, one-half if you did not reside in a community property state with your spouse.

I would strongly recommend, however, that you seek professional tax guidance with respect to this transaction.

1031 exchange

I am getting no help from Turbotax regarding this. Talked to few tax experts and CPA from turbotax.

I sold one property and bought two replacement via 1031 exchange via QI. I was asked to combine both the replacement property. One of the property, during the last 5 years - 6 months it was our primary residence. Due to that IRS clearly states that we will get partial exemption. But Turbo tax told us to get the taxes done from outside as it's not possible to do all this.

IRS clearly states this:

(contains worksheet to figure partial exclusion)

But not getting any help from Turbotax

1031 exchange

what they probably meant is that this can not be done using Turbotax.  There are multiple situations that are so infrequent Turbotax doesn't program for them. 

if it can be done, someone will probably respond with the steps you have to go through

1031 exchange

What are the options for me? Hire outside CPA. I am all done with my taxes except this one? Most of the CPAs that I came across were of Asian Indian origin who outsource their work to offshore or junior employees who make so many mistakes that i need to file at least 2 amendments. End of the day I need a file.tax2022 for my next year to be used in Turbo Tax. I am filing on my own for more than 15+ years and unless I find somebody better than me to do this job(in fact I am willing to pay $400 or $500 also for this) I am not comfortable doing that.

1031 exchange

Around a month with live - 2 CPA and 4 tax experts have all done the screen sharing sessions with me. No luck.

1031 exchange

There is also Full Service.

See https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/live/full-service/#see-pricing

Beyond that, you are into a local tax professional (which may be the better option).

1031 exchange

Here's what I figured:

1. Go to the property that was sold.
  2. In the property Profile, checkmark “Sold”.
  3. In Assets and Depreciations, select the real property and log the sales date. Log the previous depreciations for this property, you need this later. Also log the current year depreciation in next step. Total depreciation should be recaptured during 1031 exchange filing.
  4. When questioned if a special treatment is required, select “Yes”. (Note that “like-kind” exchange is not listed as a condition for special treatment. Still, select Yes. Then entering sales price, cost basis, etc. is skipped. If No is selected, the you need to enter this information, and TurboTax will calculate capital gains tax based on this info and generate form 4797. Basically, “special treatment” means you need to manually override this sales info. So, select Yes here.)
  5. When all properties are done, go to “Less Common Business Situations” and select “Sale of Business Property” (for Turbo Tax Home and Business. Premier should have similar option, too).
  6. Select “like-kind exchanges” then follow instructions. 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies