Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lee-c3

On my Schedule E, Windows is listed as an expense, but it should show that it was Windows Replacement so not confused as new windows. Can I add the word, Replacement?

I've completed may 2018 tax return with Schedule E.  The expense of Windows should have been "Windows Replacement" so not to indicate new windows installed.  Can I add the word "replacement" before filing my return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidB1
Employee Writer

On my Schedule E, Windows is listed as an expense, but it should show that it was Windows Replacement so not confused as new windows. Can I add the word, Replacement?

Yes, but can you confirm - You have not submitted your return, correct?

As long as you haven't submitted your return, you can open your return (sign in and click Take me to my return) and then search for schedule e. Then follow the screens until you get to where you entered the original 'Windows' expense. You can add the word 'Replacement'.

If you already submitted your return
Return here and post a comment for further help. When doing so, it would be good to do the following first.

• Log in to TurboTax and you'll see the status of your return. If you still need help at that point, return here and post a comment for further help.
syp_vandy

1. Click on "Federal" in the left navigation bar.
2. Click on "Income & Expenses."
3. Scroll down to the table where it says "Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)" and click "Revisit"
4. Go through the first few questions again as you had. Once you get to the "Review Your <rental name> Rental Summary," scroll down to the "Expenses" part of the table, then click on "Update." (see attached screenshot)
5. On the next screen, select "I'll choose what I work on."
6. Click "Continue" (or "Done") until you reach the page titled "Any Miscellaneous Expenses?" where "Windows" can be edited. (see attached screenshot)
7. Click "Continue" for this to save on to your Schedule E form.

Another option is to edit this directly on your form:

1. Click on "Tax Tools" in the left navigation bar.
2. Click on "Tools."
3. In the popup that appears, under "Other helpful links...", click "Forms Mode."
4. Then search "Schedule E" in the top left corner.
5. Click on "Schedule E Worksheet (<name of rental>)"
6. Scroll down on the right side to line 19 where "Windows" should be listed. You can edit this here to add the word "replacement"

Hope this helps!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies