Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing a joint return. Under 400% of the 2017 poverty level. We should qualify for the PTC. Why is TurboTax stating we have to pay back the credit we got during the year.

I itemized  my deductions does this have any effect on the PTC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Filing a joint return. Under 400% of the 2017 poverty level. We should qualify for the PTC. Why is TurboTax stating we have to pay back the credit we got during the year.

What is household income?

For purposes of the premium tax credit, your household income is your modified adjusted gross income plus that of every other member of your family (see question 6) who is required to file a federal income tax return. Modified adjusted gross income is the adjusted gross income on your federal income tax return plus any excluded foreign income, nontaxable Social Security benefits (including tier 1 railroad retirement benefits), and tax-exempt interest received or accrued during the taxable year. It does not include Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

From <https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/questions-and-answers-on-the-premiu...>

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Look at Form 8962.
What is on Lines 1, 3 and 5?
What is on Lines 24-29?

1 =2, 2=75459 and 3=401%. Line 24= 0, 26= 4615, 26= 0, 27= 4615, 28=0, 29= 4615. The software is excluding about 20,000 of my social security that take my AGI Line 37 down to 55,459. Do I have to report the full social security amount to determine my PTC or can I use the amount on my 1040 line 37? My AGI on the 1040 form?

See the above text

As Colleen pointed out below, your income is over 400% of the Poverty Level because you need to include ALL of your Social Security.

In SOME cases it can lower your overall repayment if you file as Married Filing Separately, so you may want to try that (if both of you are on the 1095-A, you "allocate" 50% to each of you).  You may want to try that out to see the results.

Do you have any "earned income" (from a W-2 or self employment)?  If so, if the income (including all of your Social Security) on your separate returns is slightly above the 300% mark or the 200% mark, contributing to a Traditional IRA to lower under the 300% or 200% mark will lower the repayment on that tax return.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

What is household income?

For purposes of the premium tax credit, your household income is your modified adjusted gross income plus that of every other member of your family (see question 6) who is required to file a federal income tax return. Modified adjusted gross income is the adjusted gross income on your federal income tax return plus any excluded foreign income, nontaxable Social Security benefits (including tier 1 railroad retirement benefits), and tax-exempt interest received or accrued during the taxable year. It does not include Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

From <https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/questions-and-answers-on-the-premiu...>

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies