aldinsg

"$0 Fed. $0 State. $0 To File." is advertised on the web. What is the $44.99 fee for state then?

Kat

Everyone can "Start for Free".  That's the marketing line.  

It appears from your post that you're using TurboTax Self Employed edition.  In the TurboTax Online platform, each state tax preparation program incurs an additional charge of $44.99 (currently).  There is no additional charge to e-file your state return.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
aldinsg

My only options I'm being given on the screen are to pay $44.99 or to delete the current info on the state prep. Where do I go to e-file?
Kat

The $44.99 is for the state software program.  If you wish to e-file it through TT, you'll have to first pay for the program itself.
Many state departments of revenue offer free e-filing through their website.  But you'll have to have the know-how to prepare your state return without the TurboTax transfer of your federal info into the state return.  See the link below to reach your state DOR.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901670-how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue">https://t...>

Did you already e-file your federal return?  You would have paid for the federal tax prep in order to print or e-file it.