Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Head of household, not paying federal tax

Good afternoon. I just started a new job. I was surprised to see that I do not have to pay federal tax this year. I am a single mother of three, head of household. Can you tell me why federal tax is not coming out of my paychecks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You should ask your employer.  You probably should have some withholding taken out so you don't owe next year.  Are they taking out anything like Social Security and Medicare?  Or are they paying you as a 1099 independent contractor?  Then you have to send in estimates to cover the tax yourself.

JaredS_CPA
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Hello schumachermr,

Thank you for participating in this Ask the Experts event. As to your question, it is most likely due to your income levels. Last year, the IRS has changed the way they withhold by issuing a new W-4 where it is no longer based on exemptions.

Being head of household with 3 dependents, your pay period income would need to reach a certain amount for your employer's payroll system to trigger federal withholding.

Either way, you should verify this with your employer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you  for your response. Should I have my employer set up some kind of withdrawal so that I don’t owe next year?

Laurie_EA
Expert Alumni

Hi 

Only if you verify with them that you are getting paid on a W2 and you should fill out a new W4 and have additional 

withholdings taking out even a small amount like $25/paycheck. So you  don't owe next year.  

JaredS_CPA
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

It really depends on your income. Being head of household and having three dependents gives you access to a higher standard deduction and child tax credits that will offset the amount of tax you owe. It's worth having a conversation with your employer or you can use TurboTax's calculators to get a better idea before you visit with them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies