turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As a truck driver can I take the mileage deduction instead of itemized? And if I do take the mileage deduction can I still claim my per diem?

I am also trying to figure out if I take the mileage deduction are all of my business expense receipts useless? Or can I still write off things not directly related to the truck like clothes cleaning supplies etc
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Melaine

As a truck driver can I take the mileage deduction instead of itemized? And if I do take the mileage deduction can I still claim my per diem?

Yes, you can deduct per diem, like meals, lodging, cabs, dry cleaning, etc., if your assignment away from your main workplace is temporary (expected to last, and does last, for one year or less). If your assignment is indefinite (expected to last for more than one year) then your new workplace becomes your tax home and you cannot deduct your job related expenses.  If you do qualify, you can then use this Portal To Determine Per Diem Rate.  Select the year in the drop down menu, then choose your State for the current rate.  See more on Per Diem in article below. 

Regarding your mileage, unfortunately, trucks are excluded from the standard mileage deduction.  However, you can still claim expenses tied to the use of your truck such as; Gas, maintenance (oil change, tires, cleaning etc.), anything you have to pay in order to maintain your truck and keep it running.  If you are a truck owner operator, you can also include;

Insurance

Interest Payments

Leasing fees

Depreciation

A rule of thumb regarding things you can expense.  If you were not driving the truck, would you have made that purchase?  If no, keep the receipt and include on your taxes, they are your business expenses, from maps, to clothing (if required by employer), subscriptions to trade magazines etc.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4146014

I know this his kind of an old post but I'm trying to figure out if I can take the standard mileage deduction. I use my pickup truck (a Dodge Ram 2500) to haul recreational travel trailers from manufacturer to dealer. Does this qualify? 

Tom

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Standard Mileage Rate - For the current standard mileage rate, refer to Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses or search standard mileage rates on IRS.gov. To use the standard mileage rate, you must own or lease the vehicle and:

• You must not operate five or more vehicles at the same time, as in a fleet operation,
  • You must not have claimed a depreciation deduction for the car using any method other than straight-line,
  • You must not have claimed a Section 179 deduction on the car,
  • You must not have claimed the special depreciation allowance on the vehicle, and
  • You must not have claimed actual expenses after 1997 for a car you lease.

To use the standard mileage rate for a vehicle you own, you must choose to use it in the first year the vehicle is available for use in your business. Then, in later years, you can choose to use the standard mileage rate or actual expenses.

Deduct your self-employed vehicle expenses on:

If you're an Armed Forces reservist, a qualified performing artist, or a fee-basis state or local government official, complete Form 2106, Employee Business Expenses to figure the deductions for your car expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies