Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shahrkster
Returning Member

Write off Expenses for Land Contract Interest Income Non-Itemised Deductions

Background:

I have a property that I sold on Land Contract. I needed to visit the property and incurred expenses related to travel, food and certain materials at the end of 2020 to inspect the property and ensure its safety and security while I worked with the land contract buyers for taking back possession of the property (repossession didnt happen until 2021).  Since the very beginning, initially by my CPA and later by me, I have reported the income from the land-contract finance as interest-only income (seller financed).

What I would like to do -

Deduct these expenses against this property versus a general deduction. I called TurboTax support and they told me that I could deduct these expenses as "other" but this goes towards the total deductions versus expenses specifically for this property. TurboTax then weighs itemized versus standardized deductions and recommends standard deductions but I would like to treat this as an expenses against my interest income versus the deduction. In other words, I would like for this to be taken off the property itself since it was expenses related to the property inspection, safety, security.

What do I need to do in Turbo Tax to achieve this goal of writing off the expense (similar to how one would write off expenses in a rental property) rather than being able to take it as a deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies