Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I have to pay any capital gains tax if I make a profit on my home which I bought in August 2017 and I am planning on selling in spring of 2019 to move out of state?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Will I have to pay any capital gains tax if I make a profit on my home which I bought in August 2017 and I am planning on selling in spring of 2019 to move out of state?

You may. You were not living there the entire two years. You might qualify for a partial exclusion.

Does Your Home Qualify—Details and Exceptions

Partial Exclusion May Be Available

If you don't meet the eligibility test, you may still qualify for a partial exclusion of gain if you moved because of work, health, or an unforeseeable event. You can qualify either by meeting a set of standard requirements (the “safe harbor” provisions) or by showing enough facts and circumstances to validate your claim.

Work-related move.

You meet the standard requirements if any of the following happened during the time you owned and lived in the home you sold:

• You took or were transferred to a new job in a work location at least 50 miles farther from home than your old work location.
  • You had no previous work location and you began a new job at least 50 miles from home.
  • Either of the above is true of your spouse, a co-owner of the home, or anyone else for whom the home was his or her residence.

Health-related move.

You meet the standard requirements if any of the following happened during the time you owned and lived in the home you sold.

You moved to obtain, provide, or facilitate diagnosis, cure, mitigation, or treatment of disease, illness, or injury for yourself or a family member.

You moved to obtain or provide medical or personal care for a family member suffering from a disease, ill-

ness, or injury.

Family includes:

1.Parent, grandparent, stepmother, stepfather;

2.Child, grandchild, stepchild, adopted child, eligible foster child;

3.Brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister;

4.Mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law;

5.Uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, or cousin.

A doctor recommended a change in residence for you because you were experiencing a health problem.

The above is true of your spouse, a co-owner of the home, or anyone else for whom the home was his or

her residence.

Unforeseeable events.

You meet the standard requirements if any of the following happened during the time you owned and lived in the home you sold.

• Your home was destroyed or condemned.
  • Your home suffered a casualty loss because of a natural or man-made disaster or an act of terrorism. (It doesn’t matter whether the loss is deductible on your tax return.)
  • You, your spouse, a co-owner of the home, or anyone else for whom the home was his or her residence:

1.Died;

2.Became divorced or legally separated;

3.Gave birth to two or more children from the same pregnancy;

4.Became eligible for unemployment compensation;

5.Became unable, because of a change in employment status, to pay basic living expenses for the household (including expenses for food, clothing, housing, medication, transportation, taxes, court-ordered payments, and expenses reasonably necessary for making an income).

An event is determined to be an unforeseeable event in IRS published guidance.

Showing facts and circumstances.

If your circumstances don’t match any of the standard requirements described above but the primary reason for sale, based on facts and circumstances, is work-related, health-related, or unforeseeable. Important factors are:

• The situation causing the sale arose during the time you owned and used your property as your residence.
  • You sold your home not long after the situation arose.
  • You couldn’t have reasonably anticipated the situation when you bought the home.
  • You began to experience significant financial difficulty .

From <https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf>

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You may. You were not living there the entire two years. You might qualify for a partial exclusion.

Does Your Home Qualify—Details and Exceptions

Partial Exclusion May Be Available

If you don't meet the eligibility test, you may still qualify for a partial exclusion of gain if you moved because of work, health, or an unforeseeable event. You can qualify either by meeting a set of standard requirements (the “safe harbor” provisions) or by showing enough facts and circumstances to validate your claim.

Work-related move.

You meet the standard requirements if any of the following happened during the time you owned and lived in the home you sold:

• You took or were transferred to a new job in a work location at least 50 miles farther from home than your old work location.
  • You had no previous work location and you began a new job at least 50 miles from home.
  • Either of the above is true of your spouse, a co-owner of the home, or anyone else for whom the home was his or her residence.

Health-related move.

You moved to obtain, provide, or facilitate diagnosis, cure, mitigation, or treatment of disease, illness, or injury for yourself or a family member.

You moved to obtain or provide medical or personal care for a family member suffering from a disease, ill-

ness, or injury.

Family includes:

1.Parent, grandparent, stepmother, stepfather;

2.Child, grandchild, stepchild, adopted child, eligible foster child;

3.Brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister;

4.Mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law;

5.Uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, or cousin.

A doctor recommended a change in residence for you because you were experiencing a health problem.

The above is true of your spouse, a co-owner of the home, or anyone else for whom the home was his or

her residence.

Unforeseeable events.

• Your home was destroyed or condemned.
  • Your home suffered a casualty loss because of a natural or man-made disaster or an act of terrorism. (It doesn’t matter whether the loss is deductible on your tax return.)
  • You, your spouse, a co-owner of the home, or anyone else for whom the home was his or her residence:

1.Died;

2.Became divorced or legally separated;

3.Gave birth to two or more children from the same pregnancy;

4.Became eligible for unemployment compensation;

5.Became unable, because of a change in employment status, to pay basic living expenses for the household (including expenses for food, clothing, housing, medication, transportation, taxes, court-ordered payments, and expenses reasonably necessary for making an income).

An event is determined to be an unforeseeable event in IRS published guidance.

Showing facts and circumstances.

If your circumstances don’t match any of the standard requirements described above but the primary reason for sale, based on facts and circumstances, is work-related, health-related, or unforeseeable. Important factors are:

• The situation causing the sale arose during the time you owned and used your property as your residence.
  • You sold your home not long after the situation arose.
  • You couldn’t have reasonably anticipated the situation when you bought the home.
  • You began to experience significant financial difficulty .

From <https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf>

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies