Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

barronkm

Will I get my return still if I don't give information on Child Tax via mail? I don't qualify nor do I have a child. I don't recall filing for that at all!

I apparently filed for Child Tax, but I never clicked a button claiming such a thing. Then I got a letter in the mail saying to clarify with SSN and such, so I can acquire my tac return. If I don't file anything or send anything in after the 30 day notice, will I still receive my return? I seriously don't recall ever claiming Child Tax!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Will I get my return still if I don't give information on Child Tax via mail? I don't qualify nor do I have a child. I don't recall filing for that at all!

we don't know because we don't know if this is something you did accidently, an IRS error, or even someone filing a return and using your SSN, or perhaps the notice is a scam.

look at your 1040. the dependents section above line 1a. is there anything there? also look at lines 19 and 28 are there any amounts or post what the instructions say (no personal info) and perhaps we can provide guidance.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

You do not select the Child Tax credit (CTC). If you are entitled to it,  TurboTax (TT) will automatically give it to you. Note the dependent line, on form 1040, where TT  Checks the box for whether you qualify  for the Child tax credit or the Credit for other dependents. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies