enginemanphilipp

Will I ever get to claim foreign tax credit on interest income? can the program after entering my country of residence not go to alternative tax?

many attempts unable to claim foreign tax credit on interest income. last year no problem claiming. after entering my country of residence in 2017 program jumps to amt?

MarilynG

The Foreign Tax Credit is to claim a Credit (against Tax) for tax you paid on foreign income.  Interest income on a foreign investment would be considered unearned Income.

In TurboTax, enter the amount of foreign interest that you received in the Interest Income section, even if you have no 1099-INT.  You can use the Search to Jump To this section.  

Check the box that says 'My Form has info in more than just box 1' to enter any Foreign Tax paid (see screen shot). 

Here's more info:

MarilynG

Here's more info: