Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I be charged at both the rate of 11.3% and 23.8% for longterm capital gains for the sale of a home in CA during 2017 as ordinary income?

I qualified for $250,000 exclusions as a single and capital gains were $530,000. There was no wage income during 2017, only longterm capital gains. The gains weren't over $551,000 and the tax wouldn't be at the 13.3% rate. So, would gains be taxed at both 11.3% and 23.8% based on income value? Would there be any offset benefits if I established residency and worked in NV prior to the sell of the home inn 2017?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Will I be charged at both the rate of 11.3% and 23.8% for longterm capital gains for the sale of a home in CA during 2017 as ordinary income?

I am not sure what you are asking here but the federal long term capital gains was 20% plus another 3.8% investment surtax  for capital gain income over $418,401 in 2017.

For California state income tax, I have been unable to find what the historical rates were in 2017 but I assume these were at 13.3%.  So yes, you are taxed at 23.8% on your federal return and 13.3% on your California return.

According to this state of California publication, you will be taxed for the sale of your home in California because it is located in California.  Residency has no relevance and there is no offset benefits.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies