xoxo232

Why is TT showing a total for Medical Expenses for 2019 when I entered zero?

Every medical expense I had in 2019 was paid for with HSA funds. Therefore, I entered zero medical expenses for medical deductions. Why then does TT show that I have entered $2493 in medical expenses? I have gone through the update numerous times to make sure that have entered zeros for every category of medical expenses; nevertheless, TT is still displaying this $2493 total. Help!

AmeliesUncle

Did you receive a 1095-A for health insurance through the Healthcare Marketplace?

Did you receive a SSA-1099 for receiving Social Security?

xoxo232

Yes! I finally figured this out on my own a little while ago when I examined Schedule A Medical Expenses Worksheet! I guess I'd forgotten that my out of pocket portion of Obamacare premiums was tax deductible - minus my HSA distributions of course.

Thank you for your input. You win for best answer!

MaryK1101

If you used your HSA to pay for qualified medical expenses, you indicated this in the 1099-SA section which is what you are seeing on the summary.  If you remove these entries, you will be required to pay tax on this amount.

xoxo232

But my HSA distributions for my medical expenses were only around $850. The numbers don’t sync up. 

KathrynG3

It depends. First, it is important to not have zeros in the program unless specifically required. I recommend deleting the zeros so the entries are blank.

Second, there is a "7.5% floor" calculation for medical expenses. Please double check Schedule A. If the amount you are seeing is on line 3 and not line 4, this is an automatically generated calculation. It does not affect your return totals.

Third, there could be an amount that is deductible from any social security. Medicare costs are entered in this section. 

Keep in mind the IRS does not allow "a double dip." The HSA is already tax preferred. Any medical expenses paid through it are not deductible again on Schedule A. Instead, as TurboTax Employee Tax Expert, MaryK1101 stated, these are reported in the 1099-SA section of your return.

See the articles below for how to enter these details in your program:

What is a health savings account (HSA)?

Where do I enter my 1099-SA?

What is Form 8889?

@xoxo232

AmeliesUncle

xoxo232