Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is it giving me a credit for my child that I couldn't claim last year but am this year her mom did last year and got the stimulus money for her?

I claim her every other year, I'm claiming her this year, so it is trying to give me an additional $1000.00 but I do not want this to delay my refund is this correct?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Why is it giving me a credit for my child that I couldn't claim last year but am this year her mom did last year and got the stimulus money for her?

Your stimulus payment is based on your tax return for 2020. Even if someone else got credit for your dependent because of your tax situation in 2019, you will still get a stimulus payment if it is due you based on your tax return for 2020. If someone else got a stimulus check that was due you, they will not have to pay it back, but it will not affect your stimulus check.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, you are entitled to that $1100 (500 + 600).  See explanation at other reply. 

Claiming is unlikely to delay your refund.  Not claiming what the IRS computers say you are suppose to get may be more likely to delay your refund. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies