turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

why is HSA deduction $0 even I paid

Hi,

I made HSA contribution from the company but the company did not match the money.

In my thought in TurboTax, it took $7750 from W2 12c and treated it as an employer's contribution.

I am not sure whether $0 deduction is right and if not, how to correct this?

hsa1.png

W2W2

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

The amount in your W-2 with code W is your tax free contribution. This amount was not included in your Box 1 income. The program is calculating correctly. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

That is correct. There is nothing that you have to correct.

The HSA contributions shown in box 12 of your W-2 with code W are called employer contributions, even though the amount was deducted from your pay. That amount is not included in your wages in box 1 of the W-2, so it is already deducted from the income that you report. You can't deduct it again on your tax return, so you do not get any additional deduction on the tax return.

• The amount in your W-2 with code W is your tax free contribution. This amount was not included in your Box 1 income. So that is in place of a deduction that you would see elsewhere in your return. The program is calculating correctly. 

another way to put it is that your gross wages were reduced by your HSA contributions and thus box 1 only shows the net. This is the way you get the tax deduction for your contributions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies