Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

why does TurboTax adjust the accrued interest I enter to 85% of the original value?

When entering my 1099-INT I entered an adjustment due to accrued interest from bond purchases. For example, $100. In the final return, TurboTax is only applying approximately 85% of this value as an adjustment (-85). I see no worksheet explaining how it came up with this number.

I am trying to determine if the final number is correct (and what the explanation is) or if TurboTax did something incorrect.

I have tried entering other values for accrued interest, and TurboTax consistently changes the actual deduction to about 85%.

Reviewing the 1099-INT Worksheet, there is a section "Adjustments to Interest". Box A (Accrued Interest) is checked and the amount listed is what I entered (e.g. 100). That's correct

Reviewing the Schedule B Part I Interest, TurboTax put "See Interest Adjustments -85".  That is not what I expect.

When I go to the Interest Adjustments page, it shows:

- Accrued Interest: -85
- Total: -85

There is no worksheet showing how -100 became -85. It looks incorrect. Again, it does the same thing regardless of what value I enter.

NOTE: this is my second post on this issue, but no one has responded to the other. I spoke to a TurboTax CPA on the phone but they had no idea. They did some "research" then gave me a response that seemed oblivious to my question, so I'm stuck not knowing how to get an answer or escalate this.

Again, I am trying to determine if what TurboTax did is correct (and get an explanation) or whether it's doing something incorrect.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies