Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do you show a gain of $920 when I bought the car for about $10,000 and sold it for $1,500?

What details do you want to know?  I had the car for 14 years.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why do you show a gain of $920 when I bought the car for about $10,000 and sold it for $1,500?

As Critter mentioned, any depreciation lowers your "Basis" (cost).  So it seems like over 14 years, you have claimed $9420 of depreciation, which lowers your Basis (cost) to $580.   Selling it for $1500 gives you a $920 gain.

*** Those numbers assume the vehicle is 100% business usage.  ***

If it was less than 100% business usage, the calculation are more complex *AND* TurboTax usually can not automatically calculate the proper gain/loss.  You would need to do the calculations manually or go to a tax professional.

As the previous paragraph indicates, if the business percentage varied since the car was first "placed in service", you need to do the calculations manually or go to a tax professional.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

It is the depreciation recapture ... review the form 4797.

As Critter mentioned, any depreciation lowers your "Basis" (cost).  So it seems like over 14 years, you have claimed $9420 of depreciation, which lowers your Basis (cost) to $580.   Selling it for $1500 gives you a $920 gain.

*** Those numbers assume the vehicle is 100% business usage.  ***

If it was less than 100% business usage, the calculation are more complex *AND* TurboTax usually can not automatically calculate the proper gain/loss.  You would need to do the calculations manually or go to a tax professional.

As the previous paragraph indicates, if the business percentage varied since the car was first "placed in service", you need to do the calculations manually or go to a tax professional.

It doesn't have to have been 100% business use.  The standard mileage rate includes 22-24 cents per mile as a depreciation allowance.  If the car was driven for around 40,000 miles of business or work use, using the standard mileage rate, that would account for $9420 in depreciation.  

If you think you can calculate a depreciation figure that is more accurate than turbotax, you would have to change to the desktop program in order to make a manual correction on the form.

My specific numbers were based on 100% business usage.  If it is reporting a gain of $920 with a business percentage of less than 100%, my numbers would be altered because TurboTax applies the CURRENT year business percentage to the sale.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies