Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why cant I deduct interest on mortgage loan?I have always done so. We refied in 2017, only. We put 30,000 worth of windows in the home, and we cant deduct interest?

I refied for no money back.  I put $30.000 into windows, and now I can't deduct my interest?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Why cant I deduct interest on mortgage loan?I have always done so. We refied in 2017, only. We put 30,000 worth of windows in the home, and we cant deduct interest?

The IRS lets you deduct your mortgage interest, but only if you itemize deductions. Revisit the mortgage interest section. You may have answered a question incorrectly. 

In addition to itemizing, these conditions must be met for mortgage interest to be deductible:

• The loan is secured, which means the lender has some kind of guarantee of payment, usually in the form of property. If a borrower defaults on payments, the lender can seize the property that’s securing the loan. If you’re buying or refinancing a home, especially if it’s your first home, the loan is usually secured by the home you’re buying or refinancing.
  • The home with the secured loan must have sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities.
  • The debt can’t exceed $750,000 (or $1,000,000 if the loan was taken before December 16, 2017) in order to get the full deduction.
  • You or someone on your tax return must have signed or co-signed the loan.
  • If you rented out the home, you must have used the home more than 14 days during the tax year or 10% of the number of days you rented it out, whichever is greater.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies