houghdaddy78

Why am I only seeing a child tax credit of $1000? I see signs all over town and have friends talking about a $4000 to $5000 child tax credit for 1 child.

Phillip1

There is a large child tax credit coming for 2018 with the new tax law. However, for 2017 there are two main child related tax benefits :

1. The child tax credit of 1,000 dollars. This is used either as a dollar for dollar reduction of your tax, or it can be refunded to you if you meet the requirements.
  2. The dependent exemption of 4,050 dollars. This acts as a deduction.

TaxGuyBill

The "Child Tax Credit" is up to $1000.

The "signs" and "friends" may be referring to the "Earned Income Credit", which can be UP TO $3400 for a person with one child.  However, in order to qualify for that, you need to have very low income (see link for income table) AND meet several other requirements.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040gi--2017.pdf#page=62">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040...>
Phillip1