Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

reimel07

Why am I being asked by TT to input an amount into the WI Schedule 1 for medical expenses on Part II Line 1a Col II if no medical $ was used taking Fed stndrd deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Why am I being asked by TT to input an amount into the WI Schedule 1 for medical expenses on Part II Line 1a Col II if no medical $ was used taking Fed stndrd deduction?

It depends. Wisconsin treats some items differently than they are treated on the Federal return.

See the Instructions for Wisconsin Schedule I, page 9:

Medical Expense Deduction

Wisconsin follows the federal treatment of distributions from an HSA for 2011-2023. However, if a portion of your distribution was allocated to the balance in your HSA as of December 31, 2010, you may be able to treat all or part of the distribution as a medical expense.

Amounts paid for medical expenses from a health savings account are allowed as an itemized deduction, if the amount is otherwise deductible, for purposes of Wisconsin’s itemized deduction credit if the contribution is included in federal adjusted gross income for failure of the health plan to be treated as a high deductible health plan.

Line 2a - Health Savings Accounts Adjustment

The federal provisions relating to HSAs apply for Wisconsin for 2011-2023. However, an adjustment may be required if you withdrew from the account in 2023, you had an HSA prior to 2011 for which you were not allowed a deduction for Wisconsin for contributions to that account, and you reported the earnings on the account as income on your Wisconsin return. If this is the case, complete the worksheet below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies