If you itemize deductions (Schedule A), you may claim the home office expenses you incurred for your W-2 income if you worked at home for the convenience of your employer. These expenses aren't fully deductible as they are subject to the 2% rule.
To enter your home office expenses (for work as an employee):
- Continue working on your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
- Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
- Select Tools.
- In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
- In the I'm looking for: box, type 2106.
- In the results box, highlight 2106, then click GO.
- You'll land on the page that says Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for. Enter your occupation and click Continue.
- Continue to answer the questions in this section. Select Yes and click Continue when asked, Do you have home office expenses?
- Provide information about your office as prompted (a name for the office, location, square footage, expenses, etc.) and follow the onscreen instructions to the conclusion. TurboTax will display a message indicating the amount of your home office deduction. (Click the screenshot below for reference.)
Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function and the "Jump to" link (instead of "Tax Tools") to search for the topic.
Please see the FAQ below for more information.
Can I take the home office deduction? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302005
[Edited 03.18.2018 I 05:41PM PDT]