Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I deduct car purchase for business?

I bought a car I exclusively use for business in 2023. Transportation is necessary for my business operation. I know where to deduct miles driven for business and related car expenses. Where specifically do I deduct the cost of the car?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Setup the business profile first if 2023 was the business's first year.

Select EDIT for that business 

Scroll down to "Business Expenses"

Scroll down under that to "Business Vehicle Expenses"   START or UPDATE

Select "Add a Vehicle"

Continue through the interview to add the vehicle, costs, and take a different depreciation (such as Bonus Depreciation) if eligible. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I previously chose standard mileage deduction under "vehicle summary." If I go back and choose actual expenses it allows me to add the value of the car for that deduction. My question now is can I stick with standard mileage deduction and add the cost of the vehicle in another location such as "Other Common Business Expenses"?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

No, you can only use the mileage allowance or the actual cost of the vehicle and it's operation, you can't do both. 

• When you first use a car for business purposes, you must choose either the standard mileage rate or the actual expense method.
  • If you choose the standard mileage rate in the first year the car is available for business use, you can switch between methods in later years.
  • However, if you use actual expenses for the vehicle (even in the first year), you cannot switch to the standard mileage rate.  You must continue using actual expenses as long as you use that car for business.
DennisWLC

It does not give me an option for PURCHASED a new vehicle for the business, merely the mileage and others costs.  Is there a way to enter a NEWLY PURCHASED vehicle?

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

When you first go through the vehicle section , if you're using TurboTax Premium Online, you'll answer questions about what kind of vehicle it is and your business mileage. At first, you'll be shown what your deduction would be using the standard mileage rate.

On that same screen, Now let's select your vehicle deduction, if you check I want to enter my actual expenses without estimating them first, and answer the questions and input your information on each screen, you'll reach: Did you purchase your vehicle new? and you will proceed through a series of questions about the cost of the vehicle, when you purchased it, etc., to compute depreciation.

You have to go through each screen completely before you get to the section about the purchase price of the new vehicle. The screens are similar if you are using a Desktop version of TurboTax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies