Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do i claim capital expenses made for medical ie. modify bathroom shower to handicap shower

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Where do i claim capital expenses made for medical ie. modify bathroom shower to handicap shower

You can actually deduct, as a medical expense if you itemize deductions, amounts such as this that you pay for special equipment installed in a home, or for improvements, if their main purpose is medical care for you, your spouse, or your dependent.

From page 6 of IRS Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses:

"You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for special  equipment  installed in a  home,  or  for  improvements, if their main purpose is medical care for you, your spouse, or  your  dependent.  The cost of  permanent improvements that increase the value of your property may be partly included as a medical expense. The cost of the improvement  is  reduced by the increase in the value of your property. The difference is a medical expense. If the value of your property isn't increased by the improvement, the entire cost is included as a medical expense."

I'd urge you to see the rest of this topic on page 6 of the IRS publication I linked above for additional information.

To enter these expenses on Schedule A:

• With your return open, enter “Schedule A” in the search box.
  • Select “Jump to Schedule A” within the search results.
  • Answer “Yes” on the “Did you have any medical expenses in 2018?” screen.

You’ll then be prompted to enter your medical expenses, starting with prescriptions.  These expenses would be claimed on the "Tell us about any other medical expenses screen."

[Edited 4|2|2018 9:35 a.m.]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies