Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I sold my home I paid off the City of buckeye CFD, can that be counted as part of my clossing cost?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RichardG

When I sold my home I paid off the City of buckeye CFD, can that be counted as part of my clossing cost?

Please explain what the payment was for.

When selling our home the buyer asked that we pay off "City of buckeye assessment to Watson road". As a brand new community it was a fee that came with the house.

Further clarification... It's full name is Watson Road Community Facilities District and was a Leon on the lot for developing/expanding wastewater plant and collection trunk. Initial balance of $5900, payments to be made semianually totalling about $500 a year. It was not past due but remaining balance was paid off.
RichardG

Add the payment to your basis in the property for determining your gain or loss on the sale.
RichardG

I assume the assessment was due or past due.

In most cases assessments for local benefits are not tax deductible.  Please follow this link and review IRS Pub 530 for a discussion of deductible and non-deductible special assessments.  https://www.irs.gov/publications/p530/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink100011838

If the assessment is not deductible as a form of property tax, the assessment you paid gets added to your basis in the property for purposes of calculating your gain/loss on the sale.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies