turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"When did you start using this home office?" is requiring a date on or before 12/31/2022.. why?

I started using the home office in April of 2023, and am filing 2023 taxes, so why would it require a date from 2022?  Is this a TurboTax error?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

"When did you start using this home office?" is requiring a date on or before 12/31/2022.. why?

The program wants to know if you can deduct all of the home office for 2023 or a percentage of it. 

I understand that, but I'm filing for the 2023 tax season, why is it asking for a date from 2022?

Once you use the simplified method for home office you can’t change it. TurboTax might be checking that. 

I haven't claimed this as a home office before, as I started using it in 2023.  Hence the reason of my original ask.. why is it asking for a date from 2022 when I'm filing for 2023?

TurboTax doesn’t know that. Just continue with completing your return and don’t be concerned about it. 

That's the issue.  I cannot fill out that step because of the required date.  I can't skip past it.

Ahh. I’m puzzled. I’ve asked others to help you. You should get help soon. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What version of TurboTax are you using? The tag below your original question says that you are using Free Edition Online, but you can't be entering business income in Free Edition.

Are you using TurboTax Online or the CD/download desktop TurboTax software? If you are using the desktop software, installed on your own computer, is it the 2023 software? You have to buy new software every year. You cannot file a 2023 tax return with the 2022 software. If you are using the 2022 software, it would require a date on or before 12/31/2022, which is what you are seeing.

If you are using the 2023 software, is it updated? See the following FAQ for instructions to make sure your software is up to date.

How do I update my TurboTax Desktop software program?

I'm using the website. Seems like a bug. I'm not claiming business income, rather use of home office for my employer. I work from home.

If you are an employee you can not deduct a home office. 

Carl
Level 15

If you are a W-2 employee, then you can't claim a home office or any other W-2 work related expenses. It's no longer allowed and hasn't been since the 2018 tax year.

The software lead me to it after asking for types of employment. Odd.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Employee business expenses may be deductible on your federal tax return for special types of employees, such as Armed Forces reservists, qualified performing artists, fee-based state or local government workers, and disabled and impaired workers. You may have indicated that you fell into one of those categories. You can delete the form 2106 that pertains to employment expenses if you don't qualify:

Follow these instructions:

1. Choose the Tax Tools option on your left menu bar

2. Choose Tools

3. Choose the Delete a form option under Other Helpful links 

4. Find the Form 2106 in the list of forms and click on the option to delete it

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Carl wrote:

If you are a W-2 employee, then you can't claim a home office or any other W-2 work related expenses. It's no longer allowed and hasn't been since the 2018 tax year.

You can claim it for some states.  If I remember correctly, the Federal Itemized section still asks you for that information, in case it applies to the State returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies