Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MGOBlue1

What is considered the "Medical Portion of Auto Insurance"? Is that the Personal Injury portion of my premium?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

What is considered the "Medical Portion of Auto Insurance"? Is that the Personal Injury portion of my premium?

None. 

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

I think you're probably asking this question in the context of a Michigan tax return.  If that's the case, this portion of your auto insurance premium would be displayed on your auto insurance coverage document as Automobile Medical Payments Coverage, or something similar.  It typically includes payments for medical treatment needed as a result of an auto accident.

It would be included on line 31 of Form MI-1040CR

If you're asking about something else, feel free to post back with more information. 

The following statements from Pub 502 allow you to deduct the portion of your auto insurance premium that is stated separately as medical care for you, your spouse, and your dependents (does not include medical care for others).

Insurance Premiums (p. 8): If you have a policy that provides payments for other than medical care, you can include the premiums for the medical care part of the policy if the charge for the medical part is reasonable. The cost of the medical part must be separately stated in the insurance contract or given to you in a separate statement.

Insurance Premiums You Can't Include (p. 9): You can't include premiums you pay for the part of your car insurance that provides medical insurance coverage for all persons injured in or by your car because the part of the premium providing insurance for you, your spouse, and your dependents isn't stated separately from the part of the premium providing insurance for medical care for others.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies