Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What forms do I need to file to show how much I paid my daughter to provide me w live in care?

I need a relative to live with me because I am no longer permitted to operate household appliances.  How do I report this expense?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

What forms do I need to file to show how much I paid my daughter to provide me w live in care?

Schedule H is where you would report wages to household employees.

Your tax return would have to include to include Schedule H only if you pay any single employee at least $2,600 in the 2023 tax year ($2,700 for 2024), or cash wages to all household employees totaling $1,000 or more during any three-month calendar quarter during either the current or previous tax year.

You can get to this section in TurboTax as follows:

And then follow the prompts through to enter the wages.  They will look like this.

You can leave this blank.

On this screen you will enter your information.

Depending on your circumstances, you may not have to pay self-employment taxes for the wages paid to your caregiver, your daughter.  Please see this IRS webpage for examples.

And also refer to this guide, Do You Need To Pay Employment Taxes” on page 5 of Publication 926, Household Employer's Tax Guide for more information.

Please see these IRS FAQs for caregivers for more information.

Generally, families should use Form 1040, Schedule H, Household Employment Taxes, to report all of these federal taxes on the family member's individual income tax return and make any necessary estimated payments of tax using Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals.

Click here for "Do I Need to File Schedule H?"

Click here for additional information on Schedule H.

Click here for "Where is Schedule H?"

Click here for additional information on reporting income from self-employment.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies