Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

steve85jr

Tax Year 2016: Were do I get tax deduction on food for truck drivers and all the other thing I can take off

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Tax Year 2016: Were do I get tax deduction on food for truck drivers and all the other thing I can take off

If it is for a job for with you work as an "employee" receiving a W-2, and they are not reimbursed to you, then you can deduct them as an Unreimbursed Employee Business Form 2106.  It goes on Schedule A Itemized Deductions in the Misc section subject to a 2% of Adjusted Gross Income threshold.  If you itemize deductions (as opposed to the Standard Deduction), and your expenses are high enough, it may benefit you.

Where do I enter job-related employee expenses? (Form 2106)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4800418

The standard meal allowance for truck drivers for 2016 is $63 a day ($68 for travel outside the continental United States). This is for overnight travel.

You can use a special standard meal allowance if you work in the transportation industry. You are in the transportation industry if your work:

• Directly involves moving people or goods by airplane, barge, bus, ship, train, or truck, and
  • Regularly requires you to travel away from home and, during any single trip, usually involves travel to areas eligible for different standard meal allowance rates.

Travel for days you depart and return.    For both the day you depart for and the day you return from a business trip, you must prorate the standard meal allowance (figure a reduced amount for each day). You can do so by one of two methods.

• Method 1: You can claim 3/4 of the standard meal allowance.
  • Method 2: You can prorate using any method that you consistently apply and that is in accordance with reasonable business practice.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies