Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chatelac

We were involved in a flood in August 2016. We had flood insurance but no content insurance. Do I need to itemize this and I spent some money in 2016 and some in 2017.

Should I just file  everything in 2017??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

We were involved in a flood in August 2016. We had flood insurance but no content insurance. Do I need to itemize this and I spent some money in 2016 and some in 2017.

No, you should file casualty and theft loss in the year that the casualty occurred - so in 2016. And yes, the casualty is part of your itemized deductions.  And yes, you must figure the loss on each item separately, but you can do it by category... for example, sofa and table would be treated as one item - furniture. 

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions & Credits
  3. Scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits and select Casualties and Thefts

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chatelac

Also does it need to be 10% or more of our income? What we spent on our contents?
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No, you should file casualty and theft loss in the year that the casualty occurred - so in 2016. And yes, the casualty is part of your itemized deductions.  And yes, you must figure the loss on each item separately, but you can do it by category... for example, sofa and table would be treated as one item - furniture. 

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions & Credits
  3. Scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits and select Casualties and Thefts

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies